‘Fort de la Chartreuse’ is part of the line of fortifications along the river Meuse. It was built from 1817 to 1823 to defend the city of Liège. Once Belgium split from Holland in 1830 it was used by the Belgian army. The fort was abandoned as a fortification in 1891 and was thereafter used as a barracks.
From 1914 to 1918 the Germans used it as a prison, and again from 1940 to 1944. 49 people were executed and buried on the site. In 1944-1945 it was used by the Americans as a military hospital. The Belgian army finally left the site in 1988 since when it has been abandoned.