Julia visited this Belgian Chateau in 2010 during the ‘Abandoned? project’ journey.
The Château was built in 1866 for the Count of Liedekerke de Beaufort and his family used it as a Summer residence. It was briefly occupied by the Nazis in World War II. In 1958, it was used as a home for the railway worker’s children with poor health. After 1970 it was an outdoor activities holiday centre for kids. During the early nineties, the Château’s owners unsuccessfully tried to find investors to transform it into a hotel. The Château’s high maintenance costs lead it to it being abandoned in 1991 and it fell into ruin. Unfortunately, since they visited it, it has been destroyed.